The Future Is Bright¶
- Aimed at all communities.
- “Kids are okay”.
What is Python?¶
- Python = python language + community.
- Includes IronPython, Jython, Pypy.
- Heroku blog post says it really well http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2011/9/28/python_and_django/
Who uses Python¶
- Scales up to 100k users, to a script to calculate budget.
- Easy to teach. Fits in head. Scales up well, and scales down.
Where is the language¶
- ~123 accepted PEPs.
- ~80 builtin functions
- ~285 documented modules.
What’s the Future?¶
- 2.7 is the last release of 2.x
- Proposals for Coroutines, async IO, cofunctions, daemon, asyncIO for subprocess, OS and Exception heirarchy.
What should Python be?¶
- Should be the Borg, by borrowing the good ideas from other languages.
- Ease of use, simplicity.
- Adopt, but make it Pythonic.
- Must continue to look outside the language
Things Jesse Wants¶
- Communication (messaging)
- Lightweight processes
- Gevent, libevent,
What we need¶
- Cleaner, more Pythonic APIs.
- Don’t leak.
- Balance advanced users versus keeping it simple.
- Modernize standard library.
- Python is a conservative language. Doesn’t blaze the path.
- Core language must be able to fit in one’s head.
- It’s fast. blazingly fast.
- Magic in the RPython.
- It’s the cockroach.
- Simple, uncomplicated C code.
- Battle tested.
- Pypy will become the dominant interpreter. CPython won’t die, and it will be reliable.
- PyPy, CPython, Jython, and ironPython are BFFs.
- Keep Calm, and Carry On.
- Python is over 21 years old.
- 5 years is nothing for migrating a community so big.
- Cannot afford to be idle.
- Cannot be hostile, but welcoming.
- Get involved locally.
- Be open to criticism, especially constructive.
- Look through the pile of vitrol, to find the core of truth.