Keynote: David Beazley¶
Let’s Talk About (something diabolical)¶
- Let’s talk about Pypy
- Python implemented in Python
- Quite a bit faster because of magic
- Mandlebrot runs 34x faster
- Which one can you adjust with a pocketknife?
Thinking about Tinkering¶
- CPython has patches, extensions, ideas
- Talking about GIL, etc, wouldn’t be possible without tinkering
- iPython notebook is an examples of this
- Is it just “evil geniuses”?
- Can you tinker with PyPy?
- Can I teach myself to tinker with it using just resources available, part-time?
- Building PyPy is challenging
- Takes hours, > 4gbs of memory, might break C compiler
- RPython is a restricted subset of the language, but can run as valid Python
- RPython is defined by the translation toolchain
- If you love Python, you will hate RPython
- Uses type inference
- Lists need to be of a single type
- Pypy uses the bytecode interpreter and an abstract runtime to compile to C code